12 April 2009

Day at the Museum

A day at the museum turned into TWO museums.
We got a late start to the day, but made it to the metro a little after lunch time. The girls were excited to ride the train and get to see dinosaurs! Of course we kept reminding them there was going to be other things to see at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum, but the dinosaurs are what they were dead set on!
As we stepped out of the metro station we were surrounded by views. We had the Washington Monument to our left and the Capitol to our right. I had no idea why I never put two and two together that the museums were so close to those places. Mommy brain I suppose. The short walk to the museum Lillian fell asleep in the stroller. I was disappointed that she fell asleep, but also realized it would make the touring of the museum with the other two a little easier.
The entrance of the museum made me feel like I was in the movie "Night at the Museum." So neat to be surrounded by some many things all in a rotunda setting. Of course to appease the older two the dinosaurs were the first stop. (I later learned that was Chad's favorite exhibit to see, too!!!) Madison was really into the bones and was able to point out all the different dinosaurs. I have no idea how she knew so many of them, but she was able to get most of them. Wow! Proud mom moment. The mammoth part was a highlight for me.
For those that know my husband and me pretty well, you know Chad LOVES whales. I mean LOVES! As for me, I have a serious phobia of them. I have been known to pass out, hyperventilate and have panic attacks. So when we knew there was an underwater section of the museum Chad was stoked and I was panicked. I have to admit Chad was so good about helping into the room (I was determined to not let my silly phobia get the best of me) so that I could always have my back to the HUGE whale hanging from the ceiling or always have my eyes down. I made it through the hall and was able to not hyperventilate, though I was shaking pretty badly.
A quick supper at the museum was more entertaining than most suppers just because of the setting. Since the girls seemed to be holding it together we decided to brave another museum. Yes, at 1700 (5pm) we headed to the Air and Space Museum a few blocks away.
Madison and Hannah enjoyed the Air and Space more than I expected. I thought it would be Chad and me that were enjoying, but Madison was into the astronaut suits and rockets. Hannah likes seeing all the airplanes and solar system things (between melt downs of course... Ask Kim, she called in the middle of one! :o)
By 1830 we tried to see the Declaration of Independence a few blocks down the street, but they had just shut down for the day. Because we did not make it, we have yet another field trip already planned for our family.
A metro ride to the truck and the 30 minute drive home, we were tucked in bed and pooped!
Just another adventure to add to the list.

0 comments: